Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Everyone Out! And she's the last one standing.

LOL. I worked at the school again this morning. (Uh-oh)

This time, I took a group of 3rd graders into the cafeteria where
we practiced a Christmas play. The little darlings did a great job
with their lines and singing their cute songs, but they weren't doing
the action in the parenthesis. For instance: Rudolph says "his line" (blows his nose then throws tissue in wastebasket). So, we ran through it a second time, while I directed them to do their actions when they forgot.

Just as I'm "instructing" them, a loud obnoxious buzzer goes off. I jump. Did I tell them the wrong thing? Should they just concentrate on their lines? Was God speaking to me?

The kids knew. They tore out of the cafeteria and out the side door of the building, before I had a chance to yell "Fire!" The darlings left me in the dust.

"Hey, I've fallen and I can't get up!" Okay, not really. But, what if I had? Though, I applaud their quick action.

So, back in the classroom, the teacher tells them, "Next time you're with a parent helper, wait for them." (It was obvious to all that I followed up the rear).

One sweet boy (one of the "little elves" from the play) summed it up perfectly. "It's every man for himself, Mrs. Toelken." In other words, let the mean lady burn. LOL!

8 Comments:

  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    E...the little rats left the sinking ship without the head rat?

    Impulsive little ones.

    Glad you helped out. You're a saint.

    I don't know if I'd recognize the fire alarm any longer. They'd have to pull me out --- the one wearing clueless sign on her shirt.

    And for some reason, my fingers want to keep tying the on the shifts.

    ;)

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger Honey said…

    Kids are so funny. :) I'm glad you made it through the fire alarm safely.

     
  • At 3:29 PM, Blogger Lucy said…

    Reminds me of something that happened a few years ago at work.

    We had a new manager transfer in (I've spoken of him before - Dennis - and I adored him...he retired this past May) and he wasn't familiar with procedures. Our particular offices were set up uniquely. To give an idea of how they were set up, image a huge room with offices lining the outside and the remaining portion of the room being open. Well, Dennis' office opened up into the open area, where our file clerk sat. He'd been working with us for a couple of weeks when there was a mini-fire in the building, which set off the alarm.

    Dennis comes out of the office, not knowing what the heck the alarm meant and asked the file clerk what was going on and she said, "Ask someone else, I gotta get out of here!" and she fled the building!

    My office was two doors down from Dennis' so I told him we had to evacuate the building and took him to our "safe" place outside. Of course, I didn't know at the time there was a real fire, I thought it was a drill but still. Can you believe the file clerk was gonna let the new manager go down with the building?

    People are funny, aren't they?

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    OMG L! What an airhead (or just out for herself) LOL!

    I had to give the kiddies credit--I hope mine would get out as quickly in the event of a real fire. It'd just me nice if they took me with them. :)

     
  • At 5:29 AM, Blogger Rhoda said…

    Loretta Lynn/Tammy Wynette? summed it up perfectly: kids say the darnest things.

    R

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Monica Burns said…

    OMIGOD What a great laugh Ellen! I love that kid. Survival of the fittest. ROFL

    Love the blog, very existential, yet flavored with cerebral spiritualism that is totally cool!

    Monica

     
  • At 9:03 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Thanks, Monica! LOL. It was actually quite hilarious. I adore those kids, but will rely on myself next time. :)

     
  • At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » » »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home