Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Philosophy Before Dozing


Rene Descartes wrote, "I think therefore I am."

When I programmed years ago, I had a comic strip taped to my computer. It had a PC dancing on the desk saying, "I think therefore I am. I AM. Alive with light and love and happiness!" Then the plug came out of the wall it it fell over. LOL.
In a way though, it's all about attitude while we're here - before our plug slips from the outlet. I've been thinking about that a lot. There's something to this power of positive thinking thing.

I've also been thinking about fate. If we don't get a job or our writing doesn't sell, is it because we're meant to do something else? At the time we might find these things horribly painful, but perhaps in the long run we'll be happier with alternative road. Do you believe in predestination? OR, if we work hard enough, can we accomplish anything?

I'm going to cop out and say that I believe in both ideas -- at least in democracies where people have the freedom to choose. If we work hard, we CAN realize our dreams. But also, some of the best moments of my life have opened up to me because a door closed somewhere else - I believe those things were fated.

I guess I should go to bed before I start quoting Plato. *snort* But tell me what you think about hard work versus predestination. Oh and how was your weekend? :)

4 Comments:

  • At 3:00 AM, Blogger KimAmburn said…

    I think both. I do believe in predestination - I don't think I would have met my husband otherwise - but I don't think you get anywhere without hard work. There's a cost to any gift, whether it be monetary, time or sweat. Just my opinion!

     
  • At 6:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I believe even today anyone can be a millionair. It all depends on how much one wants to work and how much one wants to give up. I dont believe in predestination but believe a lot of luck is involved and also being in the right place at the right time. This some times happens deliberately and by accident. I also believe that alot of people get a shot at the brass ring and for various reasons do not grab it and some dont even recoganize it.

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Kim, I agree about there being a cost. If you look at the really successful in any field, they usually aren't lazy - they've given a lot.

    Dad, That's interesting about the brass ring - I wonder if I've missed it along the way while I was too busy watching sitcoms. What happened to Montster?

     
  • At 11:53 AM, Blogger Aura said…

    Very thought provoking E. Wish my brain was working better, I might be able to come up with a response. LOL My weekend was good. I watched my friend's daughter for the weekend and tried to get over being sick. So what happens? I get a migraine last night. :( I can't win. Hope you had a good one!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home