Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Seven Year Itch

Not the proverbial marital itch, but I've heard that we go through cycles of reinvention in our lives.

For instance, at the RWAOnline boards, the monthly discussion topic asks people about their life and job experiences, so that writers might use each other as research resources. There seems to be a pattern in the revealing.

For years, I worked as a grunt worker with little ambition. Then I changed and went through a cycle of ambition in both my work and wanting to acquire "stuff." I wanted nicer clothes, a cool car (which for me was a new SAAB because I'm dorky that way), and eventually, a home to call my own. Then I re-incarnated into a "mom." Pure and simple without any other life things calling to me. After several years of that, I was drawn back to school where I studied something entirely different from my years of employment. Now, I want to write. And read. And listen to stories. And if I had the money, I'd publish books or make audio books. I still do the mom thing, but as the kids grow more independent, so do I -- again. Maybe in the next decade, I'll have an urge to join the circus. :)

Have you seen patterns - maybe every 7 years - of change in what you want from life? Some of you are too young to have a long history of this, but it's like moving from one season to another - do you feel that change?

9 Comments:

  • At 9:09 AM, Blogger Lucy said…

    Oh definitely I see that there is a cycle of changes. Some of my desires are the same but they've changed somewhat, if you know what I mean.

    And it has been interesting to see what everyone has done in the past. :~)

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger Honey said…

    That's interesting that you can see your patterns, E. Really cool stuff to ponder. What's been your favorite part? (And your second-favorite part?)

    I'm too young to really have cycles yet - unless you want to talk about annual and bi-annual changes. *snicker* I'm never in one place longer than that, it seems...

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    I do know what you mean, Lucy. It is fun to see what others have done in their lifetimes.:)

    Honey, my favorite part really has been the mother stage so far. But I think there's more to come - and I'm looking forward to it. :) Also, you might be heading into a new cycle now and just not realize it yet. *grin*

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ellen, I have seen cycles. I did life a bit backward from the traditional style--always one to be different. The mom cycle was the longest, but no that they are all in school all that's changed. Now life is more about me. It's weird because I'm now in a place where I'm trying to figure out my new role in this new system. It is neat to see where everyone's life has taken them. It is indeed a wild ride.

     
  • At 2:59 AM, Blogger KimAmburn said…

    I think it's great you can see the cycles in your life so clearly. I really don't have any, unless you count the mom one, but I've always wanted to be a mother, so I don't know if that counts. It's funny, I feel like I've always been looking for something and until I started writing, nothing worked. Writing works.

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Blogger Shelli Stevens said…

    Man, I'm so stuck in the tunnel vision of potty training. It's not even funny! I can't imagine having a real life besides mommy and writer. :)

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Blogger Chris Peters said…

    Dawna, Kim, and Shelli -

    Sounds like we've all been stuck in the mom cycle, with writing as our outlet, and hopefully our future. Even though I'm finally doing other things, being a mom still dominates my heart and mind. Shelli, I remember potty-training too well (my son did NOT want to give up the diapers). LOL.

     
  • At 8:11 PM, Blogger Tempest Knight said…

    I wouldn't say I have this 7-year itch thingy. However, I do believe in the 12 years of the Chinese Astrological calendar. Whatever you do on your Chinese year, it'll reflect the pattern for the next 12 years until you celebrate again your Chinese year again. The year of the Snake was in 2001, and I've been following the pattern of that year so far.

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Tempest, I don't know much about the Chinese astrological calendar, but it sounds interesting! I'll have to check that out. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home