Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Blustery Days and Poetry


I miss poetry--I've neglected reading it lately. But, different things each day have reminded me of favorite poems. Today it's the blustery 33 mph winds that most likely knocked out Kait's power.

I wanted to post Percy Shelley's Ode to the West Wind but it's pretty long. I like Shelley. He dared to be different from his fellow man. It's said that he loved reading so much that he walked down the street with a open book in front of his face.

He lived with his wife, Mary Shelley (who wrote Frankenstein), in Italy where he drowned off the coast at a young age. When they discovered his body, there was a book in each of Shelley's pockets, doubled-back, as if he'd been reading them when the storm hit, then shoved them in his pockets before the boat capsized. One of the volumes was Keat's poetry--my favorite poet. When my moment comes, I wouldn't mind if my nose is in a book too. :)

Anyway, after that uplifting tale, I found a shorter wind poem by another wonderful poet, Christina Rossetti. Sorry to bore you with poetry, but I wanted to blog something today, and this seemed as good as anything else.

This is mostly found in books of poetry for kids:

Who has seen the wind?
Neither I nor you;
But when the leaves hang trembling
The wind is passing through.

Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I;
But when the trees bow down their heads
The wind is passing by.

Whew! Got my poetry fix for the day. :)

13 Comments:

  • At 5:35 AM, Blogger Honey said…

    What a lovely poem, E. :)

    I was the dunce in poetry class who never got the symbolism. That's why I went to geek school. In my one (and only) course on poetry, I confessed one morning to just not getting the poem. The professor raised an eyebrow at me and said, "Uh, Honey, the poem is about sex. Those two hills are actually a woman's breast."

    So, the next night, I dutifully read my assignment, and went into class ready to talk about it. Except when I said, "Whew! They were really kinky back then," I got the eyebrow again. "Honey, this one ISN'T about sex."

    Wish I could remember what poems those were.

     
  • At 6:10 AM, Blogger Maria Geraci said…

    LOL, great story, Honey!

    I love poetry, too, Ellen! Although I confess, I don't read enough of it.

    "When You Are Old", by William Butler Yeats is one of my personal favs.

    How many loved your moments of glad grace,
    And loved your beauty with love false or true,
    But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
    And loved the sorrows of your changing face;

    *sigh* If that's romance, what is??

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    E...never apologize for putting up poetry.

    You're exposing those of us who haven't read it in ages to the wonder of those words.

    And yes, that pesky wind, gusting 45 mph, did knock my pesky line out of power. At least it wasn't 10 below. ;)

    Thanks for the lovely wind poem.

    Greatly appreciated.

     
  • At 8:58 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    LOL, Honey!!!! Some of the symbolism is lost on me too. In Shakespeare, I missed a day when they discussed a passage, then we were quizzed on the meaning. Like you, I answered the "obvious" non-sexual meaning. Wrong--it was really sexually crude but I totally missed the symbolism. Some of it is really brilliant though, once explained. :)

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Maria,

    *sigh* That is one of my favorite poems too. I love it--it's so incredibly beautiful, especially the verse lines you quoted.

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    K,

    I like that it's not as cold, but that wind really doesn't make it feel very warm, does it? Have you had any further power problems?

    E

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    No futher flickering, dipping, blipping out completely. That wind snapped quite a few trees along the road to town. I'm sure it did a few numbers on that pesky line 52 b.

    Ice storm created a bunch of damage in the trees that is only showing up now--- hence the snapping of trees, etc.

    It wouldn't be intermittant power nad light if it didn't happen time to time. Better than it used to be.

    Found one to pair up with your wind poem, E.

    Anonymous

    Western Wind

    Wester wind, when will thou blow,
    The small rain down can rain?
    Christ, if my love were in my arms
    And I in my bed again!

    You made me dig out my literature book from college, well bookmarked with what I loved then, and now.

    Thanks for the trip to a long time ago.

     
  • At 8:38 PM, Blogger Monica Burns said…

    E - I love your blog! It's got a real existentialism feel to it mixed in with a terrific brand of spiritualism and cerebral observations. FANTASTIC!

    Monica

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Thank you, Monica! I'm a newbie to the blog world. When I grow up (blog-wise that is), I want to have a gorgeous blog like yours. :)

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger Rhoda said…

    beautiful Poem Ellen!

    Nice read.

    R

     
  • At 4:46 PM, Blogger Aura said…

    So much better than eyebrow envy, Ellen! :) I love poetry. Thanks for sharing.

     
  • At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Enjoyed a lot! »

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Computer device sharing Home+heating+system

     

Post a Comment

<< Home