Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Monday, February 12, 2007

Hell in a Handbasket

Haven't we all heard that the world's going to hell in a handbasket? Especially where the youth are concerned?

Saturday, I spent the day at "Super Saturday" which is an event where kids from all over the region get together and meet instant challenges that we give them. It's sort of a cross between Beat The Clock (if you're old enough to remember that) and improv skits. The age groups were from 4th grade to 12th (my daughter's group is 6th grade). The kids work as teams and are judged on their team work, creativity, and success in the challenge.

I'm here to tell you that the world might be going to hell in a handbasket, but there are still some awesome kids in this world -- smart, creative, funny, full of energy, and damn nice.

It gives me hope. Really does. Have you had an opportunity to spend time with any of the kids getting ready to make their mark on the world?

7 Comments:

  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Maria Geraci said…

    I think that the new generation has a lot of obstacles to overcome that we didn't (more cynicism, etc) but they're also smarter about a lot of things faster. I think they're going to do just fine;)

     
  • At 2:53 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    I agree with everything you said, Maria -- more obstacles, but they'll be okay. :)

     
  • At 3:11 AM, Blogger KimAmburn said…

    That sounds like a wonderful event. I agree about the kids - you hear so many bad things about today's youth, but the preteens and teens I've been exposed to are smart and respectful. I think they'll be just fine!

     
  • At 5:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Valentine's Day, Ellen!

    About your question, yes I have seen some pretty magnificent kids lately. I just started a job at a local elementary school. I'm a teacher's aide and I float from class to class. I have to say that all the kids are spectacular. They warm my heart.

    It's reassuring to know there is such goodness in the world.

     
  • At 6:07 PM, Blogger Tempest Knight said…

    I don't have kids, but I do have goddaughters. Sometimes I wonder if I'm giving them too much on the proverbial a silver platter. Maybe I should hold back, make them work for what they want.

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    It's nice to hear everyone else's take on it -- sounds like you all know some pretty good kids too. And Tempest, over-pampering my kids is my biggest worry. :)

     
  • At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love the event! I am loving watching my 3 kids grow up so smart and saavy, in a my generation wasn't ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home