Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Life in the boonies

The fireworks were magical last night. We sat on our deck and watched the hundreds of colorful explosions that stretched up and down the river and at the middle school across from us.

Anyway, I couldn't sleep and about 3:00 a.m. I heard a cat screaming in the woods - sounded like a coyote ripping a kitty to shreds. Since four of our little feline darlings were outside at the time, I tore down the stairs and onto the back deck, where I yelled and clapped loudly, trying to scare the predator away.

The noise stopped. I called for the cats. Nothing.

After debating whether or not to get dressed and traipse the five acres looking for them, I convinced myself they were okay and went back to bed. A few minutes later...more screaming cat, this time like a mournful yowl.

OH. GOD. I raced outside again, clapping and calling. Two of the four showed up - one with a fright-fluffed tail. I went back to bed and got about two hours of sleep. This morning, all but one has shown up - the most feral of our adoptees who refuses to come in the house. She's tough though, so I'm hopeful that she's okay.

Aside from the lack of sleep and the cat scare, the fourth was wonderful for us. How about you? Have a fun time?

8 Comments:

  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger Aura said…

    Oh poor kitty! I really hope it's ok! :( We had a good 4th too with a nice little showing right in our cul de sac. :) Glad you had fun!

     
  • At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Best wishes for you and your kitty.

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Blogger Lucy said…

    I hope your cat is okay.

    I spent the day at the movies and the mall. I was amazed at how many people had the same idea! I had figured I'd be there all by my lonesome. LOL

     
  • At 6:13 PM, Blogger Chris Peters said…

    The cat usually shows up at dinner time, so we'll look for her then. The temps are over 100 degrees, so she's probably hiding out somewhere cool. Wish I was!

    A and L, sounds like you had a nice 4th. Which movie(s) did you see, L?

     
  • At 3:04 AM, Blogger KimAmburn said…

    What a rough night! I hope the kitty shows up eventually safe and sound. Glad you had fun watching fireworks. Isn't living in the boonies great?

     
  • At 5:30 AM, Blogger Lucy said…

    I saw License to Wed and Ratatoullie. Yesterday I saw Evan Almighty.

     
  • At 9:29 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    We still haven't seen our feral cat. She may have slinked in to eat in the middle of the night, but I'm worried for her.

    Kim, life in the boonies is awesome most of the time. :)

    L, I'd like to see Ratatouille too.

     
  • At 3:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    We were in Alabama on the fourth. Getting away from all the fireworks at 3 in the am! Lyns brother in law had his gall bladder out and it got messed up. We helped them get some tasks done. He also has Parkinsons and that dont help!! And just for your peace of mind that cat screaming you heard was 2 cats getting it on!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home