Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Monday, January 30, 2006

More Poetry


There must be something about blustery days and poetry . . .

Christopher Marlowe is an intriguing personality. If interested, you can read about him here.

THE PASSIONATE SHEPHERD TO HIS LOVE
by: Christopher Marlowe (1564-1593)

COME live with me, and be my love;
And we will all the pleasures prove
That hills and valleys, dales and fields,
Woods or steepy mountain yields.

And we will sit upon the rocks,
Seeing the shepherds feed their flocks
By shallow rivers, to whose falls
Melodious birds sing madrigals.

And I will make thee beds of roses,
And a thousand fragrant posies;
A cap of flowers, and a kirtle
Embroider'd all with leaves of myrtle;

A gown made of the finest wool
Which from our pretty lambs we pull;
Fair-lined slippers for the cold,
With buckles of the purest gold;

A belt of straw and ivy-buds,
With coral clasps and amber studs:
An if these pleasures may thee move,
Come live with me, and be my love.

The shepherd-swains shall dance and sing
For they delight each May morning:
If these delights thy mind may move,
Then live with me, and be my love.

6 Comments:

  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Nice, E. Such pictures painted with a few words.

    And the sudden longing for Spring and warmer temperatures now. ;)

    Hope your snuffy head feels better soon!

     
  • At 4:36 AM, Blogger Honey said…

    That's a beautiful poem, E!

    Hope you're doing better today. :)

     
  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger Winter Peck said…

    Oh, how I long for spring and summer's fragrant smells and the sun's warm rays. E, you're making me fall in love with poetry. I'd forgotten how it could actually move me after reading fiction and non-fic for so long.

    Looks like I'm gonna have to start stocking the books shelves with some poems.

    Hope you're feeling better.

    I can just smell the grass now.

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    I'm glad y'all like the poem. Poetry isn't the most exciting thing to blog, but it's truly a love of mine, so I need a fix now and then. :)

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    LOL, Jan. I love those kind of historical details--life is always stranger than fiction. Marlowe and Shax were so different, but I can see where there would've been a bit of rivalry. :)

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home