Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Writing vs. House

Finally, I feel like writing again. Really writing. Why? Because I'm supposed to spend the next month super-cleaning my house, painting, and preparing. It's psychological. I'm an expert at avoidance.

I thought it was a super secret, but dh imformed me last night that it was only to be a surprise to others in town. So...his older son (from 1st marriage) is an actor/screenwriter. He attended Harvard/Amer. Rep. Theatre where he gained life long friends, some of whom have become successful in TV and movies.

He, along with a bunch of those folks, a director, editor, cameraman, etc. are coming to our hometown to film something. Not sure what--knowing them, could be an indy film or a Comedy Central show. They previously made an Indy film called "You Are Here." Dh's son is on the far left, his friend Ayjay, from Office Space, is 3rd from the left. I'm not sure who all is working on this new project.

But, they want to live in our house while they're here! Help!

We're to be relocated (at their expense) to a hotel, so they can all live and work under the same roof. They'll be filming around town during the day, so I can come in and run the business (and surf my favorite boards and blogs :)). But, there will be a busload of strangers in my home for up to 2 weeks. Opening my cupboards and drawers. Looking in my closets. Using my laundry room. I have 1/2 painted walls (see my priorities) that need to be finished. The cleaning itself could take weeks.

So, I want to write--ALL THE TIME NOW! LOL.

For those of you who struggle with motivation to write, here's my advice: invite 10 or 20 strangers to come to your home. Easy.

What motivates you?

13 Comments:

  • At 12:32 PM, Blogger Honey said…

    That's just too cool, E! I hope your cleaning goes well. :) And I hope it's all worth the inconveniences in the end. :)

    (And I loved Ayjay in Office Space. But you already know that.)

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Wow, E. What a motivator.

    Wild. Wicked.

    Hope you get it all done.

    What motivates me? Good question. Still looking.

     
  • At 6:42 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Hmm... I'm motivated by getting into the gym each morning by 5:00 or 5:15, working out for about an hour or so, then still making it into work by 7:30. I figure by getting started early and working hard, I get all kinds of time to get more work done.

    More importantly, that allows me to spend my evenings with Jamie, who further motivates me.

    Amazingly, however, despite all this motivation and "all kinds of time," I still manage to procrastinate and have to rush to get my homework writing (about the only kind I do) done at the last minute. It's almost like clockwork. Jamie has known this for years now. The worst time was when I made her stay up **way** past her bedtime to read a technical report for my senior design class. But I won't steal her thunder on that story... she tells it so much better than me!

     
  • At 8:50 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Ooh, Jamie, let's hear that story! It's hard to imagine that reading a technical paper would keep you awake at night--must be True Love. Or as Billy Crystal said in Princess Bride, "To Blave." LOL!

    Shannon--I always waited until the last minute to write my school papers too. :) And, the gym is a GREAT idea. That's something I really need to do again.

     
  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    K! Is lunch tomorrow (Monday) a good motivator? If we finish, let's say a chapter, we get to go?

     
  • At 3:32 AM, Blogger Jamie said…

    Ah, yes. The technical paper at midnight. I remember this well.

    See, Shannon didn't proofread it before he sent it to me. Have you ever read technical documents prepared by engineers? Oh. My. God. It was awful. I could clearly see where one person's section ended and another's picked up. Guess you could call 'em "distinct voices". I called this one guy's writing absolute crap. He wouldn't have known a subject and a verb if it hit him upside the head. He used prepositions as conjunctions and conjunctions as prepositions. I'd put so much red ink on that paper in the first two paragraphs, there wasn't room on the front of the page for any more comments after that. And that's when I called out to Shannon, "Did you even read this crap?" And he said, "Uh, no, sorry honey, I didn't have time. Why? Is it bad?"

    I think I promptly broke into tears, threw it at him, and told him to proofread his own damn paper, I was tired and going to bed and if he couldn't read his own damn report before he asked me to correct all the grammar errors at 11 PM on a work night, I wasn't gonna do it.

    Feisty, ain't I? Is that about how it went, Shannon?

     
  • At 6:43 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Oh my...the tech. paper sounds a bit rough. LOL! Hey--anything after 9:00 pm makes me cranky--I can feel your pain. :)

     
  • At 7:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    E...on.. you finish a chapter and I'll finish reading a book.

    I'll call you once the demons have fled the castle.

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger Aura said…

    Good luck on both the cleaning and the writing E! Funny how inspiration strikes when you really don't need it to. LOL

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Thanks, A! I started out today determined to clean the laundry room, but ended up doing our bathroom instead. Hey--it's better than nothing, right! And, I wrote a few pages, then exited without saving--lost 'em. *picture Homer saying "doh"*

     
  • At 9:16 PM, Blogger Maria Geraci said…

    Sounds pretty cool, Ellen! So you're sort of famous, huh? LOL.

    I've been painting and cleaning like a crazy women, too. In about 3 weeks all my carpet and tile is going to be pulled and we're putting in hardwood floors. It will definitely be worth it, but I do resent the time all that Martha Stewartness takes away from my writing:)

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Ooh--I love hardwood floors. You'll love them!

    LOL! No fame for me, just a lot of house to clean. :)

     
  • At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is very interesting site... » » »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home