Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Chicken Pox Blues

Poor baby . . .

I can still say that, can't I? Even though daughter's 11. Because yesterday she had a few minor bumps on her belly, which I attributed to her wearing new clothes without washing them first. But today it's escalated to large pox bumps and moved to her face as well. She's not feeling well, itching, and cranky. (I would be too.)

Every couple of months, we go out to dinner with 4 other couples, and my MIL spends the night in order to babysit the kids. Tonight was our big night out (aren't we the exciting couple?). I spent hours today cleaning, because that's what I do when my MIL is going to take up residence here. Anyway, I put in a call to her earlier and she just phoned back.

"Have you had the chicken pox?" I asked.

"No, but I had small pox when I was a kid." (she's 85).

Dh and I just couldn't take the chance she'd get infected with it at her age, so we're staying home tonight. At least the house is clean. Still . . . poor baby. I suppose boy's next.

So . . . tell me, did you or your kids get chicken pox naturally? Have you gone the vaccine route? We were supposed to get her the vaccine before she hit 6th grade (in the fall), but hadn't done it yet. I wasn't thrilled about this fairly "new" vaccination, since the period of effectiveness is still questioned. On the other hand, if it holds, they don't have to worry about getting chicken pox or shingles as adults, which is a good thing.

Also, I wonder if she might've gotten it from the kids at school who are getting the shots--I hadn't heard of any outbreaks, and since the vaccination is a live virus, can those receiving the vaccination spread it to others for a short period of time after getting the shot?

Que Sera Sera. Maybe there's a good movie on the boobtube tonight. :)

5 Comments:

  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Girl and Boy have both had that shot.

    I had the lovely pox when I was 9 months old. The doc said it was impossible and my mom said: want me to bring her in? I think I know what they look like since my little brother has them. He said no. I had them.

    Dawg hasn't had it, nor had the shot.

    I'm sorry your girl is down with it. Got calamine?

    Hope she gets better soon.

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Hindsight's 20/20 they say. When kids were babies, shot was new and not required. Dr. made it sound like it might not last so they could get pox when they were older anyway--when it was more dangerous. It seemed wiser to wait and see if they'd just get the virus from other kids and be done with it.

    Now, I SO wish I'd gone with the shots (I would've before this fall anyway because of the new rules). Nothing to do now but ride it out. Stupid mom.

     
  • At 1:55 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Oh, and yes K--got calamine and oatmeal bath and benedryl, etc. It's gotten pretty nasty just since last night. Poor kid.

     
  • At 6:39 AM, Blogger Honey said…

    :( So sorry to hear about the pox, E!! Stinky stuff. I hope it's not a bad case. Give a holler if you need some stress relief.

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Blogger Aura said…

    I had chicken pox when I was 2, which was good because I was young, and bad for my mom who had to keep a 2 year old from scratching. She did a good job but on the last day that I had them, I scratched off a spot on my forehead and still have the scar to show for it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home