Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Name that Career

I'm pretty far into my WIP, and it occurs to me that my hero needs a job.

How can this be, you ask? Well, in this story's other life (the version I scrapped), he was a P.I. This doesn't work at all anymore. He's returned to his hometown for a visit and the question hasn't come up yet. But, inquiring minds might want to know. Soon.

So . . . he's on vacation from which intriguing career?

Please vote:

a. Nuclear physicist (I might have to look up what that actually is)

b. Fry cook at Denny's (nobody does onion rings like this guy)

c. President of the U.S. (in which case his vacation is scheduled for 6 weeks)

d. Writer (in which case his vacation is permanent, er . . . open-ended)

e. College Professor (smart enough to choose a Harley for transportation)

f. Owns a Software company (do I really want my hero to be my husband?)

g. Dog walker in New York (he and Killer Yap are good buddies)

h. ___________ (fill in the blank)

7 Comments:

  • At 7:53 AM, Blogger Honey said…

    Oooh, fun challenge. I'd go for something totally nerdy, like research assistant or librarian, because then you get to add depth to his character by making him a biker dude off-duty. Or he could be a lab rat working in the automotive industry to develop a cleaner fuel alternative, and thus be a real tree-huggy kind of guy.

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    H, I love nerdy disguised as cool and visa versa! That would be fun.

    S, I didn't think about juxtaposing their careers--that's a great idea too. War hero? Interesting thought. Hmm...

    Thanks you two! :)

     
  • At 6:48 PM, Blogger Lucy said…

    Going with Sam's theory of conflicting occupations...she asks a lot of questions and he could have a profession where confidentiality is a must so he evades questions. Like a lawyer or a doctor. That would also fit (I think anyway) Honey's "against type" by being "professional" by day, "hell's angel" by night. ;-)

    Good luck. :-)

     
  • At 8:15 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Thanks L!

    I need some of that "just thinking" time that Chessie and Jan blogged about so I can pick something. But thanks to you ladies, I have some great ideas. :)

     
  • At 7:38 PM, Blogger Monica Burns said…

    Ok, reporter and nuclear physicist are PERFECT for each other. She asks all the questions, and he has ALL the answers. Problem is, she's not necessarily going to understand the answers since physics is "relative" type of science. *grin*

    Oh, and as for what a nuclear physicist is, that would be a scientist who studies the possible applications of nuclear particles (atoms, electrons, positrons etc.) when applied to real world technologies. Currently, they're doing some coooool experiments at UCLA or is it USC with physics and atoms where they've been able to have a single atom show up in two places at the same time. TOTALLY awesome. Ok, guess I just gave you more than you really wanted to know.

    Just go with something tame. *grin*

    Hugs, Monica

     
  • At 5:26 AM, Blogger Maria Geraci said…

    Hmmm... without knowing the conflict in your book this is a toughie. I like the nuclear physicist angle. Maybe he's just discovered some secret and he doesn't want a reporter nosing around.

    But I suspect that since you haven't given him an occupation and you're halfway through the book, what he does for a living doesn't matter to the conflict. So I say, have Fun with this. Maybe he can be an out of work stuntman, or a sex therapist :)) or something fun like that.

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Awesome feedback! Thanks gals. :)

    Monica--I'm impressed that you're so up on nuclear particles. What little I studied about it in school was quickly forgotten. :)

    I've narrowed it down to a couple choices. Time for me to get writing...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home