Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

WOW

Sunday, we had a few guests for dinner, courtesy of my MIL. They are her first cousins and all over the age 80 -- my favorite kind of people.

I LOVE old people. Always have. When I was in elementary school, our street was filled with seniors, and I went from house to house visiting them. I ate their cookies, heard stories of the children (who were grown and gone), and saw their letters from exotic places, written to them when they were younger. Now, I realize these were World War I (mostly) and WWII folks. I wonder if because I've always loved this oldest generation in our society, I'm in fact an "Old Soul." Perhaps.

What WOW'd me this time is that Dolores, one of the cousins, sat down at our piano, and without having played any of the songs (or even heard them before) in a book of songs we had there, she played one song after another. She set toes to tapping and octogenarians to dancing. WE HAD A BLAST!!!

Witness my prayer for the day: Dear God, Goddess, or Lord of the Rings (I like to cover all bases), please let me be that COOL when I grow up. Did I tell you I LOVE old people?

6 Comments:

  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger Lucy said…

    Sweetie, you're that cool now. No waiting for old age. :o)

     
  • At 8:51 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Aww...that is "cool" of you to say. And needless to say, you're cool too. LOL. (My kids would say, "Mom, that's SO seventies".)

     
  • At 5:30 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Ellen, you rock. And your point is right-on! It's amazing how little we look at and understand our elders. Better you are for spending quality time with them!

     
  • At 7:42 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Thanks, Shannon. I do think we have a lot to learn from them. When I'm lucky enough to spend a day with them, I try to listen and absorb. :)

     
  • At 8:22 PM, Blogger Aura said…

    I enjoy them too Ellen. :)

     
  • At 6:22 AM, Blogger Honey said…

    How awesome! Echoing Lucy and Shannon, you're cool and you rock now! :) That must've been one kick-butt piano party.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home