Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Storyteller Slut

I don't know if this happens to other writers, but I have this problem -- I'm a storyteller slut. I can't seem to stay loyal to one story, to one set of characters. Oh, I love them all, but I tend to stray.

My first story was of a man named Jack and his long lost love, Elizabeth. I lived with these people and their story (which I had in my head from beginning to happy ending) for a long time before deciding to write it down. But when putting it to paper, the brother, Michael, wouldn't quit flirting with me. Yep, I dumped Jack for Michael and began writing his story.

Next, a Crimean War hero named Gerard kept giving me The Look. I tried to remain faithful to Michael and Jerilyn. I really did. But The Look pulled me too strongly, and I entered into an affair with my Victorian story. I'm working on that now. And, like the other two, the entire story -- save some details -- is in my head and just needs to be put to paper. I love this story. Love the characters.

And yet...

The first week of KIA, I cheated and wrote a short story for a contest with a Nov. 1st deadline. Yes, I felt guilty. But I'm back where I should be, trying to be faithful again.

Now, I have a series of time travel stories in my head that would be awesome to write. I AM trying to ignore the temptation, and so far I've been successful and haven't been seduced away. I MUST remain loyal to my Victorian until I've typed "The End."

Any advise? Does this ever happen to you?

7 Comments:

  • At 4:30 AM, Blogger Lucy said…

    Sweetie, I'm the one who got all excited to write Chapter Two on my story, so yeah, I can relate. I have no advice to give you but if you figure it out, please let me know how you did it, okay? (Although, I feel very committed to my current story - at least for now. :o) )

     
  • At 4:58 AM, Blogger Honey said…

    Oh, absolutely! I have a hundred-page problem. I'll get 100 pages into a manuscript, and decide something else sounds like more fun. I tell myself I have to abandon the stories I leave behind because I've grown as a writer, the plot is lacking, etc. etc., but the next one will fix all those problems. I know, I know, I'm deluding myself. But I'm closing in on the 200-page mark in my current story, and I know how it's going to end, but I don't know exactly how. Does that make sense?

    Anyway, it's normal. Don't beat yourself up too much. ;) I think this is why God gives us our unpublished time first - so we can work the kinks out of our writing styles. :) (Yeah, I know there are other reasons He gives us our unpublished time, but we don't need to go into those.)

     
  • At 7:31 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Whew! I'm not the only hussy around, I see. LOL.

    Jan, I'm a pantzer on paper, yet I have the story plotted out in my head for the most part and I do know how it will end. You might have a point -- if I need to know myself, I'll keep going. :)

     
  • At 7:18 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    LOL, Dad! Yeah, as Eliza Doolittle says in My Fair Lady, "I'm a good girl, I am." Unless it's story loyalty... *sigh* :)

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger The Girl You Used to Know said…

    sometimes, it's good to be a ho...

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    LOL, Mel! You're right about that one. ;)

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Maybe I need to become a ho. Maybe then I woldn't lose interest in them so quickly. Sigh.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home