Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Friday, March 10, 2006

Pass the salt, please...

Sons wonderful 3rd grade teacher does an amazing thing each year with her students. She teaches them etiquette at the dinner table.

For weeks, they practice eating real meals at a table set with china and crystal, while dressed in their best. They unfold their napkins into their laps, say, "Please pass the salt," use the correct fork for their salads, etc... Then, around Mother's Day, the moms or grandmas are all invited to the meal where they can witness their child's resplendent dress and flawless manners.

I've volunteered each week to make the main entree and assist with table setup and cleanup afterward (if I win the lotto, I'm buying that school a dishwasher). Today, I'm taking 2 lasagnas and a crockpot of homemade mac & cheese.

Son awoke this a.m. sooo excited! He's dress in a button down shirt and slacks, and husband loaned him a tie. Yep. I teared up. There he is, my baby, dressed like a little man right down to a windsor knot. *sniff* I got weepy when daughter did this 2 years ago too, sentimental sap that I am.

Do you remember a great teacher who went above and beyone the call of duty? Inspired you?

5 Comments:

  • At 7:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Two teachers in high school remain in the thanks for showing/encouraging me. One taught mythology (love it still) and the other creative writing.

    Great teachers.

    Enjoy today, E., and I hope you take some pictures. ;)

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger Honey said…

    What a fun experience. :) Hope the kids enjoyed their lasagna and mac & cheese. :)

    I think my favorite professor was the one who put me in touch with an old student of his who worked for the company where I later got my first real job, thus enabling me to move closer to Mr. Honey before we got married. :) Hard not to like that.

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Aura said…

    How sweet E! I'm amazed at how many people these days lack simple table manners. I was lucky to have a mom to teach me those things. IF I ever have kids, you can bet that's something I'll pass on!

     
  • At 5:17 AM, Blogger Maria Geraci said…

    Sister Mary Joan (high school American History) She was fabulous. The nuns at my high school were Fransican nuns and most were from Boston. She had this heavy Boston accent and we would all giggle behind her back when she said certain words (this is in central Florida where I was raised) I'll never forget her.

    The etiquette classes sound marvelous, Ellen! I think it's a great idea. I bet your son will remember them forever.

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Thanks for your comments everyone! Sounds like you've all had wonderful mentors--teachers, moms, role models. For me, it was a HS History teacher who convinced me not to give up on myself at a time when I was doing just that. I really believe teachers are the most underrated, underpaid profession.

    The etiquette class was fun. You should have seen the kids trying to hold a wine glass correctly (full of fruit juice). They looked so grown up. My lasagna and M&C went over big. And the clean up--though it took a LONG time--went well, since I had Diana Gabaldon to listen to. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home