Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Of COURSE it sold for a bundle!


If I'd won the lotto (or mega millions) which I fantasize about daily (I keep a list of how I'll spend/save/donate the winnings), I wouldn't have hesitated to buy the dress made so famous by Audrey in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Of course, to wear it, I'd have to super-diet.

The dress said "class." She was all class -- as Holly Golightly and even more so, as herself. I'm glad the money's going to charity -- she would've liked that.

If you won the lotto, what would you buy???

Here's the article about the dress from The All Movies Replica site:

The little black dress that helped launch AUDREY HEPBURN and made jewelry house Tiffany's a household name was sold for a staggering $807,000 Tuesday in London.
Christie's auction house auctioned off the famous GIVENCHY gown worn by Audrey as she gazed longingly into the windows of the New York diamond boutique in the 1961 film, 'Breakfast at Tiffany's.' Auctioneers were hoping to get $138,000 at most for the frock and were thrilled by the giant bid. Proceeds will benefit India's City of Joy Aid.


For those of you unfamiliar with her work, this collection would be fabulous. I'm putting it on my Christmas wish list:

Audrey, who became a fashion icon in movies like 'Roman Holiday' and 'Funny Face,' has been enjoying a renaissance of late. Thanks to those skinny pants ads for the Gap, she's been seen rocking out to music from AC/DC. (The footage of her dancing was taken from 'Funny Face.') And Paramount Home Video recently released the three-DVD Audrey Hepburn Collection, including 'Holiday,' 'Sabrina' and 'Tiffany's' ($29.99).

I found the collection for just $19.99 at Amazon.

10 Comments:

  • At 3:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love Hepburn. I'm adding that collection to my list too. As for the lottery, I think I'd take my whole family (incl. my parents and my sister's family) to Disney. We've got a family trip scheduled in the spring and I'd love to pay for everyone's trip!

     
  • At 5:33 AM, Blogger Marly Mathews said…

    Ah, I love Audrey Hepburn...now to go and watch one of her movies...:)

    ~Marly

     
  • At 10:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    When I saw that the dress had sold, I immediately thought of you.

    I have a few of her movies on the shelf. Need more. :D

    If I won the lottery...have to think on that.

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Ooh, Kim, I'd love to take the family to Disneyland or world. It seems like we're the only ones who haven't been there yet! LOL.

    Marly, did you watch one? I haven't seen any in awhile. I think Roman Holiday or Charade might fit the bill for a cold winter's day. :)

    K, I thought of changing my avatar to that dress. Do you think anyone would notice?

     
  • At 9:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I would give up the lottery if I could look like Audrey.

    And have a bit of her class.

     
  • At 9:56 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    You have TONS of class, Lil. :)

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger Lucy said…

    I've never been a collector of movies and DVDs (although I do have a few now) but the first one I ever bought was Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn. I LOVED that movie and promptly went in search of more of her movies.

    If I won the lottery I'd pay off all my debts and quit my job. Beyond that point I'd have to give it some thought. :~)

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Ooh, Lucy. I LOVE Roman Holiday. I told daughter yesterday, when she asked what I wanted for Christmas, about the collection, which has RH. It seems like every movie she's in is a classic. :)

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I saw the collection today, Ellen, and nearly snagged it for you. >:)

    Hopefully Santa has his ears on...or else Madame Voodoo will take over. ;)

     
  • At 6:58 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    K, that's sweet of you! I did put out the alert in the family though. I think one of them will come up with the goods. LOL.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home