Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Can You Hear Me Now?

Last night - after reading tons of material on communicating with your kids - I had a heart-to-heart talk with dh about sitting down as a family. The idea is that as a team:

a) everyone presents things they think could be improved around the house (for instance, I'll say that the house is too messy and I can't do it all myself)

b) everyone contributes solutions (kids say things like "hire a maid", or "pretend not to see the mess", while the parents talk about chores and allowance)

c) we discuss said solutions and hammer out a plan to implement them (set time for chores each day, with bonuses for doing chores each week without reminders)

The idea is that if the kids are part of the problem-solving, they'll be more likely to participate than if being yelled at to "pick up your room!".

So, the kids roll into the kitchen after I've made my case to dh, who, by the way, just nodded and tried not to laugh. I start telling the kids about the plan for the meeting and what we'll do and how wonderful it will be to have open communication with each other. And . . .

Nobody's listening to me. Daughter's talking to dad about the game she's playing. Son's watching TV and not hearing me. Dh's still trying not to laugh.

So much for communication. *sigh*

What's everyone doing this weekend?

5 Comments:

  • At 9:29 AM, Blogger Aura said…

    Oh dear. Time to MAKE them listen or there will be consequences. Good luck E, it's a tough battle but you can do it!

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Make them listen-- turn off the tv, etc.

    You can't do this alone. Or you can do what I did... make it all up, slap it down in front of them and give them the death mom look.

    Good luck with it, E. I know you can do it.

    Plans for this week? Survive until Boy gets his license?

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Blogger Lucy said…

    I was so impressed - until I saw you have a normal family. LOL

    I'm sorry they weren't listening because it sounded like a good plan to me. Make a deal with them - tell them they help out or you go on strike. Tell them that you won't cook or clean unless they pitch in - and then do it. Maybe that would help?

    Good luck!

    As for the weekend, I don't know. I want to go see No Reservations and I need to finish reading and writing a review on the Kasey Michael book I've got (she has another one coming out but I haven't found it or gotten a copy of it from her). And, along those lines, I have something to share with you but I'll blog about it later. (Hint: Get ready with your "I told you so!") ;o)

     
  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Consequences/Death Mom Look/Go on strike. All good suggestions, ladies! Thanks! :)

    I so want to see that movie, Laura! Soon. And about the thing you're going to blog - do it quickly. The curiosity's killing this cat. LOL.

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    After passing the book back and forth, my son and I have finished Harry Potter. Now, I don't know what to do. The last two days have been so consumed with reading this book that I've forgotten my day to day routine.

    Hopefully it will come to me tomorrow. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home