Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Friday, December 15, 2006

Wii

So . . . I'm standing in line at a gaming store the other day with a couple of new gamecube games for my son.

The line doesn't move. It's getting hot. My claustrophobia's kicking in.

"Er, excuse me. Why isn't the line moving?"

"This isn't a line," says the cheery man in front of me. "We're all waiting for the Wii."

"You're waiting to wee?"

"No. The Wii. See?" He points to a box that holds the new Nintendo Wii and a TV screen that has a Wii commercial so you can see how it all works.

Within moments, the whole line became animated as they explained to me what it was how and great it was and why they'd wait for many hot and nauseating hours to get one. Basically, it's more interactive. You move the hand controllers as if you were doing the action on the screen. So if it's bowling, you make the bowling motion with your arm and it rolls the ball on the screen. Likewise, if you're slicing off a warrior's head with a broadsword (this was in the store's commercial), you make that slicing motion with your arm. Isn't that sweet? Now, why people can't just go bowling or play tennis or whatever (well, except for decapitating people) in real life, I don't know.

But I have to say this, kids WILL get more exercise this way. Instead of sitting down for hours playing it, they're up and kicking their legs and swinging their arms. Just don't stand too close to them. And now they have wrist bands for the controllers because kids were throwing them through the televisions accidently.

Since then, my son's already brought it up once. I avoided talking about it with him. Oh, I suppose at some point he'll get it, but not this year. We're trying to move him into a musical instrument instead. Life can't be all about electronics.

Have you heard of the Wii? What do you think about it? I'm too old to have played these games when I was younger. Did you ever play them? What's your favorite?

16 Comments:

  • At 8:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Wii and PS3...joy, joy and argh.

    Boy's not asking for either one and don't ask him about Xbox 360 unless you want some serious snark.

    He's into comp games and has been asked to join Team USA for Guild Wars. Sigh. Is this why chores get ignored? ;)

    I've heard of loooonnnngggg lines for Wii and PS3 systems and the mayhem/frenzy of some to own the few that are available.

    Instruments? Cool beans. Which one?

    Did your evil head leave?

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    K, I have a bit of a bad headache hangover. I'm hoping today's better. Damn heads.

    He wants to play the upright bass, in which case we'd find him the 1/8 size that he could handle with his sizes. Chris is really pushing him to just get an electric bass which is cheaper and easier to handle and play. But boy loves the sound that the upright makes. We'll see what happens. At last night's concert, he made a list of all the instruments and rated how he liked them. LOL.

    What is Guild Wars?

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger Lucy said…

    See, I'm impatient, I probably would have left, well unless what I was getting was urgent. But to answer your question, I've never heard of Wii.

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Honey said…

    I've heard of the Wii, but now, thanks to you, I know how to pronounce it. :) I suppose that's what happens when one doesn't watch TV.

    Erm, um, I'm not addicted to any games. *cough, cough*

    When I was about 10, my parents and grandparents and godparents all went in together to get my sister and me a Nintendo. I didn't even want the darn thing, and it's all I got for Christmas. Duck Hunt was cool though.

     
  • At 11:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Ellen, have him start on the electric bass and it'll help with the standing stringed bass. Will it ever. Even more so, learning guitar as it will give him the chording/finger placements needed.

    Guild Wars...google it and then watch your jaw drop. A game played online (comp) that rivals World of Warcraft. Teams (guilds) compete against each other (wars) and there are leagues/etc for competitions between nations, etc. And I don't play but do I ever hear about the neat stuff?

    I used to love Pitfall Harry, the game, except I spent more time making him fall to his death than saving him. Evil me. Muwahahahah.. Don't ask what we did with Frogger. >:)

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My BIL is looking for one of thse things, but he can't find one out in SLO. I should sent him your way.

    I have never understood the whole video game thing myself.

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    I never got it either, Lil.

    K, I'll check the Guild Wars. Chris just said he's going to get boy right now from school land take him to look at electric basses. We'll see what happens.

    H, I have one thing to say to you. Pirates! LOL.

    Lucy, I was getting very impatient. After I found out what was going on, I was able to cut to the counter. :)

     
  • At 7:49 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Meg, your job always sounded so sexy to me until you mentioned having to go to Walmart. LOL. I do shop there occassionally, but my soul's always been sucked out by the time I leave.

    You had a cabbage patch doll! I remember the craze, but was too old to have one myself. Do you still have it?

     
  • At 3:07 AM, Blogger Scarlett Sanderson said…

    I've heard of the Wii and the PS3, but unforunately I'm a computer games virgin, I'm useless at them!

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Me too, Scarlett. :)

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL. My kids asked for Wii, and I had NO idea what they were talking about ...

     
  • At 12:13 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Jill, I can't keep up with how fast technology changes! I stay home as often as possible so I can remain in denial. LOL. (Though the kids bring it into the home.)

     
  • At 5:50 AM, Blogger Maria Geraci said…

    Luckily, my son hasn't been bitten by this bug. I just heard of the Wii yesterday on the news during a segment on how people were breaking their tv screens by throwing the hand controls. I have to admit, I did laugh at that!

     
  • At 10:13 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    You're lucky, Maria. The toys definitely get more expensive as they get older!

     
  • At 2:53 AM, Blogger Shannon said…

    I've heard some decent things about the Wii. I've heard that kids are getting more exercise with it. I think I've even heard that this issue bothers some, apparently, as kids are getting worn out playing video games.

    I've also heard there is some danger, as a Wii controller that slips out of a player's hand may careen across the room and crash into something else, potentially causing damages. To me, that's a funny issue, and that's probably because I don't have (or likely will have) a Wii, so it's not my stuff.

    I give Nintendo kudos for creating a video game system which gets the player active and moving.

    So, when are they going to make a game which hooks up to a treadmill?

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    LOL, Shannon. A treadmill game's what I need.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home