Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Friday, January 05, 2007

Blog-challenged

Definitely challenged. I haven't been able to think of a thing to blog lately.

The only thing I can think of this morning is that we're a strange society of beings because we are obsessed with celebrities. Why is that? My friend, Honey, has made a resolution to avoid celebrity gossip. I never used to care about that stuff, and still don't. Yet, when I get my email, there it is on the server screen. Taunting me. News about Lindsey and AA. Did Kate and Owen split? How is Reese after filing for divorce? Is Jen really calling Brad?

Have people always been obsessed with celebs? Or did it used to be royalty, like it still is in England and Monaco? Did the Egyptians delight in seeing papyrus drawings of Cleopatra's scantily-clad body? Were they simultaneously upset and intrigued when she and Marc Antony fought? Were people scandalized when Charles II took up with Nellie?

Is it just entertainment like watching TV? Or do we feel better about ourselves when we're witness to their lives unraveling into complete and utter disaster? Maybe it's life affirming -- like straining our necks to see bodies loaded into an amulance while passing a bad accident. Either way, I need to resolve to "look away."

Do you ever find yourself curious about celebs? Are you ever blog-challenged?

9 Comments:

  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger Lucy said…

    I am always blog-challenged! ALWAYS!

    As for celebrity gossip, I watch that segment on the morning news and I subscribe to People Magazine. I don't enjoy watching their lives unravel or end up in disaster. For me, I think it's more about seeing what celebrities do with themselves beyond whatever it is they did to make themselves a celebrity. Some it's disappointing to see what they've let happen and others it's nice to see that they're using their celebrity for good, to help others. It's more of a curiosity thing for me.

     
  • At 1:04 AM, Blogger Marly Mathews said…

    Yep, I find myself blog challenged, a lot! :) So, hang in there, Ellen you are not alone.

    I think it's human nature to be curious, but most of the gossip now doesn't interest me. :)

    ~Marly

     
  • At 4:19 AM, Blogger Shannon said…

    I tire quickly of the celeb chat always.

    I understand the blog-challenged issue. It happens to me quite often, although not since the first of the year.

    I think most often, for me at least, being blog-challenged comes from the lack of time, not necessarily lack of ideas. I'd recommend finding an interesting news story that makes you think about something. Talk about what's new in your life. Or, tell us a silly dream. :)

     
  • At 4:20 AM, Blogger Honey said…

    In my case, my interest was born out of boredom. Celebrities are in the entertainment business, right? So when I'm bored, why not let them entertain me, even if it's none of my business? Heck, with paparazzi and all, even their personal lives are made entertaining. "Oooh, there goes so-and-so, coming back from getting morning coffee!" "Look, so-and-so is leaving a store in New York!" Seriously - there are other things in the world I should be concerned with. Hence the reason I've resolved to avoid it this year. It really isn't any of my business, and there are lots of things that are more important/fulfilling for me to do than reading celebrity gossip pages.

     
  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Lucy, I agree that it's nice to see them using their celebrity for good. I think it's more of curiosity thing for me too.

    Marly, most of the gossip's pretty boring now -- our stories are a lot more interesting, right? :)

    Shannon -- you definitely have had some great blogs so far this year. As for news or dreams, I have been reading the paper more. I'm always afraid to blog about politics for fear of offending those who don't agree with me, but there are some great human interest stories out there. Good idea. Dreams? I've had some bizarre ones lately, probably from the Nyquil--I need to keep a log. LOL.

    Honey, your resolution about this is mine now too. :) We need to spend our time writing (or something else productive like studying ancient Greek) instead.

     
  • At 3:06 AM, Blogger Scarlett Sanderson said…

    I'm blog challenged every time I open up the damn thing and sit down to type something! lol I never really have anything meaningful to say!

    As for celebrity gossip, it has been a thing througout the ages - even the Romans has 'town criers' to announce what was going on. ;)

     
  • At 5:56 AM, Blogger Marly Mathews said…

    Right, Ellen! :)

    ~Marly

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Blogger Aura said…

    Yay for Ellen and Honey resolving to stay away from the gossip pages! Isn't it funny how we get sucked in? I do, that's for sure. And why? What's so interesting? Mine is definitely born out of boredom too. Why not read the gossip pages instead of work? LOL

    E- I think you do just fine with your blog. It's nothing to stress over. :)

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Thanks, A!

    Scarlett, I forgot about town criers. What a bizarre concept -- of course, they would think that of our tabloids. LOL.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home