Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

How we spent New Year's Eve

So, anyone who doesn't currently have kids, here's the first thing about them. You will rarely ever go out for New Year's Eve again. At least, that's how it is with us. BUT! We had a lovely time.

I bought a bag of party favors -- hats, blowers, little bells, and leis (don't tell the kids, but I hid the confetti).

At 9:00 pm or time (pacific std), we tuned into Fox in New York and watched the ball drop and celebrated. We blew our horns and clinked our champagne flutes (filled with sparkling cider) and gave each other kisses and a group hug. The kids banged pans and lids and all in all it was very noisy and the pets all hid.

I immediately went and laid down because I've had this "dizzy" problem the last few days.

At 12:00 midnight our time, the kids hauled me up for another round of blow the horns and bang the pans. We kissed again and the town across the river shot off fireworks. And the pets hid.

I had a blast! I'm not sure when I turned into an old fart, but I really enjoyed spending Christmas with dh and the kids. And I didn't have to deal with a hangover in the a.m.

How did you spend your New Year's Eve?

10 Comments:

  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Lucy said…

    Well, I had gone earlier in the day and bought a couple of books. I read To the Nines by Janet Evanovich and then watched my favorite movie, When Harry Met Sally and then went to bed.

    Happy New Year Ellen!

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Happy New Year, Ellen.

    Hope that cold leaves you alone soon.

    We putzed about and didn't much but eat, laugh and then circle towards bed. At midnight, the phone started ringing.

    A typical evening on New Years.

    Be safe this upcoming year and get healthy!

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Happy New Year. We went to our friends' home for the evening. They expected about 10 folks, but it was really just us, them, and one other couple. It was actually fantastic, just chilling and enjoying company. At midnight, the three guys shot champagne corks out into the street, drained about half of each bottle, making it so we didn't have to drink a full bottle per couple. :) By 1:00 a.m. we were home and asleep. It was great!

    Hope you feel better, and enjoy the new year!

     
  • At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You don't sound like an old fart at all! Actually, your New Year's Eve sounds great. DH was working nights, so I tucked the kids into bed at 8:30 and spent the next two hours with Stephen King's new book. I've got to work on my celebration skills...

    Happy New Year, Ellen!

     
  • At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think it's fun to spend New Year's Eve at home. Plus, there's no way in hell you're gonna find a babysitter, so you may as well enjoy it.

    Happy New Year!

     
  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Lucy -- love any Evanovich (great way to start the New Year). Haven't see WHMS in years -- that's a winner too.

    K, who called at midnight? Yes. I'm nosey. LOL.

    Shannon, sounds like an enjoyable evening with friends for you and Jamie. I never thought of the exploding champagne as a strategy for drinking less, but it works. :)

    Kim, I think your celebration skills are just find. :) What's King's newest book? (He scares me. LOL) Dh loves reading him.

     
  • At 10:42 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Lillian, I agree - the only babysitters to be found on New Year's Eve are either like Kari the Babysitter on The Incredibles Jack-Jack attack, or our ancient sitter from childhood, Meemee. She beat us. LOL.

    Like you said, it's fun to spend it at home anyway. :)

     
  • At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We spent it with the kids, of course, lol. Glad you had a good one, we did too!

     
  • At 8:24 AM, Blogger Aura said…

    John and I went to my roommate's mom's house with the rest of the family. We played cards and ate and just generally goofed off until midnight when we called it New Year's and drove home. Fun was had by all! Sounds like it was good for you too, Ellen!

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Jill and Aura, sounds like you both had a nice time -- good for you! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home