Mirth and Laughter

~ ALL THE WORLD'S A BLOG STAGE ~

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Time Travel

Last night I helped my daughter with a school project. The scoring will be mostly about grammar -- using dressups (adverbs, adjectives, prepositional phrases, etc), and learning to construct paragraphs into essay form. But the overall idea was this:

Imagine there was a group of kids stranded on a desert island and now it's fifty years later. Choose an invention (from the last 50 yrs) that they've never seen or heard of and try to explain it to them. Include the pros and cons, etc. She picked genetic cloning to save an extinct species -- which was actually quite interesting and a whole story of its own.

I started thinking (yikes!) about how many inventions there have been in the last 1/2 century. The world used to be so much simpler in so many ways. Anyone who knows me well knows that I'm insane for history. If I could do one magical thing, I would be to travel through time.

If you could time travel to one place and time, to where/when would you go? I need to think about this myself since there are so many. It's going to be hard to narrow it down to one.

Though, I must say, there's a certain charm to the period of chivalry. To be a lady with a loyal knight bowing at her feet... *sigh*

By the way, I posed for this painting. Just so you know. That's me. *snort*

9 Comments:

  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger Aura said…

    And what a lovely pose it was...

    I would go back to the regency period of parties and balls. Dangerous highway men and dashing gents.

    Or maybe, like you, I'd go back farther to the medieval period with strong knights and where chivalry was everything.

    Sigh... so many handsome men, so little time...

     
  • At 11:21 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    LOL! I think I'd be torn between those exact two periods, A. I love the whole regency era (and I also like the revolutionary fervor that preceded it -- esp. the colonists), but the medieval chivalry...pretty special too.

    No matter what, I think I would miss modern medicine and hygene. :)

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    And what a lovely lady you are...

    When would I go? I've not a clue.

    Maybe the 40's. Maybe the 20's.

    I can't see me any time but here. :(

    I can see the two of you there. And the trouble you would both find. ;)

    Glad the project went well.

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Oh yes...we'd cause trouble. LOL.

    K, I can see you in France for some reason. Like maybe during the time of Joan of Arc. Why? Don't ask me. Maybe you really lived there then and I'm psychic. :)

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger Lucy said…

    Honestly, it's hard to say what time I would want to travel to. If things were truly as they are represented in romance novels (and we all know they aren't), I think the regency period would suit me well. But the restrictions placed on women and the lack of respect for the gender in general, I'd probably become that homicidal character everyone reads about in history books.

    I think the 20s would be cool too.

    Even the 50s...June Clever could be my mom. :o)

    Interesting topic E. :o)

     
  • At 5:04 AM, Blogger Honey said…

    I'd love to live in the regency period, but only if I got to be at least a duke. Yeah, I'd definitely be a man if I were in that time period. LOL

     
  • At 7:17 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    L, it would be harder to be a woman in any period prior to the 70's and women's lib. I'd need to be a woman of wealth and power in order to negate that.

    Or do like H says and go back as a man! LOL. A duke, H. Clever thinking. Hadn't thought of that. :)

     
  • At 7:52 AM, Blogger Lucy said…

    LOVE THE COVER E! Still so happy for you. :o)

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Thanks!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home